Position: Senior Director, District Engagement
Who we are
The News Literacy Project, a national, nonpartisan education nonprofit, is building a national movement to advance the practice of news literacy throughout American society, creating better informed, more engaged and more empowered individuals — and ultimately a stronger democracy. NLP is the leading provider of news literacy education to students primarily through our signature e-learning platform, Checkology®, and to the public through our website, RumorGuard™.
Where you fit in
NLP is poised to take on a greater national presence to meet the intense interest in its programs from school districts across the country while it works to build a national movement to advance the practice of news literacy in all sectors of American society. To reach our objectives, NLP is rapidly expanding its capacity. This is a great opportunity for you to help build district-level news literacy practitioner models in multiple states, ultimately advancing the adoption of news literacy requirements for every student in the country before high school graduation.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following:
- A minimum of five years of experience teaching in a middle or high school setting.
- A minimum of five years of experience in school- or district-level administration, particularly in instructional oversight or curricular design roles, preferably in a large district.
- Experience with school- or district-level curricular adoption processes, preferably in a large district.
- Experience building deep, multi-faceted curricular and teaching partnerships with districts for either for-profit or not-for-profit enterprises.
- Experience managing a team to reach ambitious goals.
- Familiarity with educational technology and/or e-learning platforms is a plus.
- Experience collaborating with sales, marketing, advertising, product design and product development team members to plan promotional marketing campaigns is a plus.
- Analytical habits of mind to conduct market research to determine a target audience’s needs, wants, habits, interests and other relevant factors used in creating targeted campaigns and collecting subsequent return on investment data.
- Connections in the education space that can lead to partnerships and high-level support for NLP’s work is helpful.
- Knowledge of educational trends and shifts is preferred.
We’re looking for someone who can have an immediate and meaningful impact on our work and who is data driven and compelled to change tactics and strategy when results are not met. Someone who expects the best from their team and works to remove obstacles to their success. And someone who has demonstrated an impatience with the status quo, believing systems change is vital to the improvement of public education and outcomes for students.
This position reports to the senior vice president of educator engagement.
About the position
The senior director of district partnerships will design and drive NLP’s strategy for district engagement, leading to the adoption of news literacy instruction and the use of NLP resources (Checkology principal among them) in that instruction by districts across the country. There are three elements to our district engagement strategy that the senior director is either directly responsible for or manages: marketing and outreach, the district fellowship program, and model and direct district partnerships.
Specifically, in this job, you will:
- Build and directly manage NLP’s partnerships with the NYCDOE (New York) and LAUSD (Los Angeles) and any other model/large district partnerships NLP develops in the future.
- Manage the senior manager of district partnerships, who establishes, builds and manages major district relations in our key strategic states.
- Manage the director of district fellowships, who recruits, monitors and supports our fellowship districts around the country.
- Work in collaboration with the senior vice president of educator engagement and the director of marketing to design a district administrator-focused marketing and outreach plan, including a fellowship recruitment plan.
- Participate in professional development programs or promotional events as needed.
- Work in collaboration with the other senior leaders of the educator engagement team and the research and design team when necessary.
In addition to the qualifications noted above, the successful candidate will demonstrate all or most of the following:
- A strong work ethic, while modeling a healthy work/life balance for their team.
- An exceptional professional presence, including strong writing, speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to design and execute a complex strategic plan.
- Experience strategically utilizing a six-figure budget in support of reaching ambitious goals.
Compensation and benefits
This is a full-time role position. The salary for this role starts at $100,000, but the starting salary may be increased for an exceptionally qualified candidate. NLP also offers outstanding benefits, including bonus, health and dental insurance, a 401(k) plan match and more. For an overview of our generous benefits package, check out our HR benefits summary.
This position is virtual. Highly qualified candidates who live anywhere in the United States are encouraged to apply. To apply, upload a cover letter and a résumé at https://bit.ly/NLPJobs. The application deadline is 5 p.m. ET on February 15. We hope to hire as quickly as possible for a start date around April 15, if possible.
The News Literacy Project welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds. We offer equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons and prohibit discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service or other protected status.
We deeply value diversity in the workplace and strongly believe that a diverse team enriches our organization and strengthens our ability to realize our mission (read/print NLP’s Organizational Values [PDF] and Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion [PDF]).