Position: Senior Manager, Educator Professional Learning
Who we are
The News Literacy Project (NLP), a national, nonpartisan education nonprofit, is seeking a Senior Manager, Educator Professional Learning to join our professional and community learning team. Founded in 2008, NLP is the leading provider of news literacy education for middle and high school students, primarily through its signature e-learning platform, Checkology®.
Where you fit in
NLP is poised to take on a greater national presence to meet the intense interest in its programs from school districts across the country while it works to build a national movement to advance the practice of news literacy in all sectors of American society. To reach our objectives, NLP is rapidly expanding its capacity. This is a great opportunity for you to provide engaging, relevant, and actionable news literacy professional learning to educators.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following:
- Experience developing and facilitating professional learning and other public speaking focused on topics relevant to educators, particularly those in middle and high school.
- Engaging, responsive public speaking skills with advanced proficiency in visual presentation applications.
- Knowledge of and experience in developing formative and summative assessments, both formal and informal, for measuring learning objectives as well as program metrics and goals.
- Experience developing live, virtual sessions that are interactive and collaborative for participants.
- Writing skills that produce explanatory pieces that make complex topics understandable for a variety of audiences and are nuanced, clean and concise.
- Knowledge of or experience with developing resources for online learning environments, particularly asynchronous learning.
We’re looking for someone who will hit the ground running, believes in the importance of quality professional learning for educators, is unafraid to experiment and can work collaboratively as well as independently.
This position reports to senior director, professional and community learning.
About the position
The primary responsibility of NLP’s professional and community learning team is the development, facilitation, and management of professional learning programs for educators and news literacy education for adult learners. Our team works in close collaboration as part of NLP’s educator engagement group, as well as with other internal teams, including development and communications, and external partners. NLP’s professional learning programs are a mix of in-person and live virtual events and soon, on-demand online programs. Your primary responsibility will be developing and facilitating news literacy professional learning programs for educators. Travel will be required for this position as determined by scheduling of events, including two staff retreats per year.
Specifically, in this job, you will:
- Present and facilitate professional learning sessions, in-person and virtual, on a variety of news literacy concepts for educators. This includes supporting the planning and execution of NLP’s NewsLitCamp®.
- Develop assessments, feedback surveys, and other tools that measure learning and provide data for reporting key metrics relevant to team objectives as well as specific donor and grant requirements.
- Provide reports to NLP teams and leadership as needed based on metrics and other requirements.
- Collaborate on the design, development, and implementation of a platform for on-demand, self-paced professional learning for educators and adult learners and a news literacy certification program for educators.
- Facilitate and participate in other educator and public-facing professional learning events, conferences and special events as needed.
In addition to the qualifications noted above, the successful candidate will have all or most of the following:
- Formal experience as an educator, particularly with middle or high school students. Experience teaching news literacy, journalism, or related fields is desirable.
- Experience collaborating with colleagues and other groups asynchronously using various communication and resource sharing applications. Our team routinely uses SharePoint, Notion, AirTable, BaseCamp, Slack, and Zoom. Familiarity with these programs (or similar) is beneficial.
- Experience and comfort with a virtual work environment (both technology tools and personal skills) and strong organizational and time management skills, with a demonstrated ability to adapt to changing priorities and meet deadlines and deliverables under variable constraints.
- A strong understanding of the opportunities and challenges in today’s information landscape and well as trends in misinformation and its spread, especially on social media.
Compensation and benefits
This is a full-time position. The starting annual salary for this role is $70,000. NLP also offers outstanding benefits, including bonus, health and dental insurance, a 401(k) plan match and more. For an overview of our generous benefits package, check out our HR benefits summary. This is a U.S.-based, remote position and work hours will be determined by your time zone.
To apply, upload a cover letter with salary requirements and a résumé at https://bit.ly/NLPJobs.
The application deadline is 5 p.m. ET on May 27, 2022. We hope to hire as quickly as possible for a start date no later than July 25, 2022.
The News Literacy Project welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds. We offer equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons and prohibit discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service or other protected status.
We deeply value diversity in the workplace and strongly believe that a diverse team enriches our organization and strengthens our ability to realize our mission (read/print NLP’s Organizational Values [PDF] and Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion [PDF]).