Position: State Policy Coordinator (part time)
The News Literacy Project (NLP) is seeking a part-time state policy coordinator in Pennsylvania, particularly the southwest region. There is intense public interest in NLP’s work, and we are experiencing tremendous growth. This role will begin laying the groundwork for creating a pre-graduation news literacy requirement for the state of Pennsylvania.
We’re looking for someone who will hit the ground running, is unafraid to experiment and has a collegial nature, a sense of fun and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively. This position reports to the senior vice president, educator network.
Founded in 2008, the News Literacy Project is a national nonpartisan education nonprofit that empowers educators to teach middle school and high school students how to sort fact from fiction in the digital age. Our central offering is the Checkology® virtual classroom, an online e- learning hub. Since the platform was introduced in 2016, almost 40,000 teachers have registered to use it in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, four U.S. territories and 120 other countries.
About the position
NLP is working to establish Pennsylvania as a hub state for news literacy education. To do so, NLP is focusing initial efforts in southwestern Pennsylvania (SWPA). Ideally this position will be filled by someone who can formalize partnerships with school districts and intermediate units to engage them in using NLP’s resources and assist NLP with providing learning opportunities for educators.
In this job, you will:
- Develop and maintain relationships with key education leaders, district administrators and other decision-makers in the SWPA area as leverage for mass news literacy instruction adoption. (40%)
- Coordinate and facilitate opportunities for NLP to be in front of local and regional education decision-makers and advocate for news literacy instruction as a requirement before graduation in the SWPA region. (30%)
- Assess the education landscape and identify pathways to achieve news literacy instruction as a requirement before high school graduation. (25%)
- Ensure that key decision makers are included in events, conferences, meetings, etc. and represent NLP at these events. (5%)
The successful candidate will have all or most of the following:
- Reside in a SWPA county
- Have established relationships with school districts and education leaders in Pennsylvania
- Three years of professional experience, including engagement with education policy or civics leaders
Compensation and benefits
Salary is $23,000 to start, $35,000 after a successful first year. NLP offers some benefits with this 20-hour a week role.
To apply, send a cover letter and a résumé to email@example.com with “state policy coordinator” in the subject line.
The application deadline is 5 p.m. ET on Jan. 31, 2022. We hope to hire as quickly as possible for a start date in February 2022.
The News Literacy Project welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds. We offer equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons and prohibit discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service or other protected status.