NewsLit Nation Forum

Judi Nath's Sins Ag...

Notifications
Clear all

Judi Nath's Sins Against Science: How Misinformation Affects Our Lives and Laws  

drstancil
Topic starter
(@drstancil)

Greetings NewsLit Nation!

I just had a great conversation with science textbook author Judi Nath yesterday! I was confirming her participation in my spring 2022 News Literacy Project/Intellect U Well, Inc. ambassador event on media literacy and digital citizenship for Houston educators. Judi will be speaking at the event on the subject of misinformation related to science and health, and specifically her new book (November 2021) Sins Against Science: How Misinformation Affects Our Lives and Laws.

Sins Against Science: How Misinformation Affects Our Lives and Laws

Misinformation has had dramatic and dangerous effects, as evidenced by numerous events of the late 2010s and early 2020s. Reading a steady stream of misinformation leads to distrust, potentially leading to conflict in one’s family and workplace, and even to civil unrest. At the heart of many such matters is scientific illiteracy. Many enjoy a life of ease and convenience because of science–and since science also crosses courtrooms, classrooms and cultures–it has great potential to debunk misinformation and untangle the confusion surrounding culturally relevant issues (including vaccines, sexual identity, race and evolution, alternative medicine, and human reproduction, among others.) This work addresses those issues and relevant popular stories, conspiracies, and misleading headlines that circulate across media platforms. Bringing accurate scientific knowledge into people’s agendas is challenging, and the book works by using science and facts as a basis of every deliberation over laws and policies. The chapters, respectfully and scientifically, unravel complex relationships surrounding the issues. Weaving together history, politics, human biology, and law, it demonstrates how our lives are dependent on understanding the nature of things.

Judi is a well-respected textbook writer, and has now decided to take on some of the myths and misconceptions related to health and science in the news and on social media in her new books series.

Check her book out, and let me know what you think! Do you see some ways you can use her work in your classroom? Let me know, so we can discuss. I have a few ideas myself that I can share, but I want to hear from you too!

Best,

James

2 Replies
Miriam
Admin
(@mromais)

Thanks for sharing James! Very exciting to hear about your line up for the spring event too. Let us all know when you have a date picked 🙂

1 Reply
drstancil
(@drstancil)

@mromais I should have a date in the next week or so. Need to coordinate with a local partner. 🙂

NewsLit Nation Events
NewsLit Ambassadors
Meet Alesha.
New York City, NY
Alesha teaches for the New York City Department of Education, and established several initiatives within her school, including the Young Women’s Mentoring Program for at-risk students.
Meet Alesha