NewsLit Nation Forum

Welcome, please int...

Notifications
Clear all

Welcome, please introduce yourself!  

Shaelynn
Topic starter
(@shaelynn)

Welcome to NewsLit Nation online! I am Shaelynn, NLP's director of expansion and a former classroom teacher residing in Iowa. NLN online serves as a virtual gathering spot for educators across the nation to share news literacy best practices, connect with others who view news literacy as an essential life skill and important to student academics and work together to empower educators across the country to join the news literacy movement!

• Please take a moment to introduce yourself.
  • Let us know where you are from.
  • And share your role in education. 

We are glad you are here! 

14 Replies
Ebonee
Admin
(@ebonee)

Hi all! I'm Ebonee (from LA, CA now living in Dallas, TX). I have the beautiful pleasure of leading the Educator Network team. We are so excited to have you all here in this community. We're here to support you in your news literacy education needs! Can't wait to hear from you and learn about how we can support you this school year. Thanks for being a member of our network! 

Individualien
(@individualien)

Hi, My name is Gary and I'm a teacher in the Finger Lakes region of NY where I teach a middle school science class called Fact or Fiction with the intention of helping students learn how to sort through dubious and factual claims. Right now I'm using NLP podcasts to educate myself and hopefully fold that information into the curriculum. Open to sharing curriculum ideas and activities with other folx. 

2 Replies
Emily J.
(@ejacobs)

@individualien That class sounds awesome, is it required for all students?

Individualien
(@individualien)

@ejacobs No, not a required class. Our school offers a variety of structured and ustructured middle school science courses.  Students can take this or a variety of different-themed courses. However, all students in eighth grade take a "researchers" course that touches on many of these themes.

TiffanyC
(@tiffanyc)

Hi, I'm Tiffany from Merion Station, PA just outside of Philadelphia.  I'm teaching a class called Citizens at an independent school and will calibrate the lessons for students in grades 1-8.  We'll even have an after school Citizens Club for students who are passionate about media literacy in all its forms. NLP and all of its resources are so fantastic!

msb
 msb
(@msb)

Hi, I'm Anne and I am a teacher at Lycée International de Valbonne in the south of France where we teach both regular EFL classes and OIB classes. In other words, my main subject is English, which we study through a number of lenses. Giving our students the means to distinguish between real and fake news has become a field of its own that we educators - wherever we are from - need to address as a matter of urgency, hasn't it? So many thanks for providing remarkable resources to help us do so. I have already shared the project with some of my colleagues who said until now they were lacking the  resources to effectively teach critical thinking. As a professional, I have learnt new concepts and broadened my knowledge of the processes at stake behind conspiracy theories for example. I am very grateful. Best, Anne

Emily J.
(@ejacobs)

Hi, I'm Emily, a Library Instructional Leader for Lincoln Public Schools in Lincoln NE. I work to create curriculum and practice opportunities for students to read laterally and check information. I am at the district office and try to support our librarians in teaching this important skill. Sometimes I am asked to go to a school and teach it as well, which is a ton of fun. I am always looking for relevant fun practice opportunities for my students in both fact checking and source checking!

1 Reply
Shaelynn
(@shaelynn)

@ejacobs It is a pleasure to meet you! I am actually doing some work with ESUs this fall. Let's connect and I can stop by your office when I am in the area! sfarnsworth@newslit.org

MissZtheGreat
(@misszthegreat)

Hi, I'm Mary and I teach 6-8 grade library skills classes in southwestern New York.  I've been using the Sift to improve my own skills for the past few years, and last year I started using the News Goggles lessons mixed in with my 8th grade information literacy curriculum.  I'm looking forward to continuing to revise my curriculum to make it more effective for students.

jburroughs
(@jburroughs)

Hi! I'm Jaime and I teach English in Central California. My assignment changes each year, but this year I have 9th grade and 12th graders. I used part of the News Literacy project last year in a 9th grade honors class, and found it to be extremely rewarding and relevant. This year I'm hoping to use the Trust Me Documentary as part of the Rhetorical Appeals unit. I'm always open to collaborating both as a teacher, and with classrooms. Reach out. 

jilljohnstone
(@jilljohnstone)

My name is Jill Johnstone, and I am a librarian at a Catholic high school in Louisiana. We assist our teachers in finding ways to incorporate literacy skills and fact checking in their classrooms, and the News Literacy Project is a fantastic resource. Looking forward to collaborating with a wonderful community of fellow educators.

DDM12
(@ddm12)

Hello from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania,

I am a full time teacher and librarian for an urban high school. We do not have a physical library but have a four year curriculum that teaches information literacy. I started using Checkology in the spring of 2020 when we went virtual and have continued to add it to my courses. I also adapt some of the Fake News to warmups and current events. I am glad to find this group to get some ideas on how to incorporate this resource more.

cjsteffy
(@cjsteffy)

Hello! I'm Christina, a university library director from Reading, PA. Before I worked in libraries, I did a lot of freelance journalism. News literacy is a topic I would like to see better taught at the college-level. I've discovered a lot of the resources applicable to high school students are also applicable to college students.

cmcbride
(@cmcbride)

Hello, I'm Ciji. I am hope learn more about the NLP to determine if Media Literacy would be a good project for our GATE students (grades 3-5).

NewsLit Nation Events
NewsLit Ambassadors
Meet Monica.
Miami
Monica Valdes is a Miami Social Studies teacher with eighteen years in education. Monica is also the Founder of the (Youth) 2019 West Miami International Film Festival.
Meet Monica